Sunday 31 July 2011

Interview with Galileo De Obaldia, World Champion 2010

Duelist Column has the honour of conducting an interview with our current World Champion, Galileo De Obaldia, prior to the World Championship this year. In the interview, he shares some insights on the World Championship, Reborn Tengu, TG Hyper Librarian and the Restriction list.

World Champion, Galileo De Obaldia, with his trophy



MintStar (Jeremy): 
*Hello there Galileo, how have you been doing for the past year since winning World Championship?
Galileo:
*Hey Jeremy. I´m doing really well thanks :)
*Just been really busy, but always finding some time for our favorite hobby!
MintStar:
*I see that's great to hear. How are your preparations for this year's World Championship going? I hope it’s good.
Galileo:
*They´re ok I think. I´ve not had much time to test anything, which is important because as you know, the format is slightly different.
*I still have two weeks though, so hopefully that´ll be enough!
MintStar:
*Indeed, play testing is important to ensure that your deck flows well.
*Some of our readers are wondering what you are expecting the other contestants to bring to the grand event of the game this year. Do you mind giving an overview of your expectation?
Galileo:
*Yeah of course. At first, I expected a lot of Plants, but it seems Librarian and Trishula are both Limited, so I´m not sure how that plays out. Six Samurai, Agent Fairies and maybe TGs will be the most played, while there are other good choices such as Machina/Gadget, Scraps, GB, or an anti-meta deck. I think the field is wide open and less predictable than it was last year. it should be an amazing event.
MintStar:
*I see.
*Having achieved the most prestigious title of World Champion, do you find it difficult to motivate yourself subsequently?
Galileo:
*That´s a good question. Partly it´s completely the opposite. Being the world champion puts an added pressure on me to always do well at events, but at the same time, I´m relaxed knowing I managed to do this amazing thing, and sometimes you can get complacent. 
*The main reason for me to sometimes be a bit "out of the loop", in regards to the game, is because of personal commitments, such as working
*Overall, I´m just looking to have fun in Amsterdam, take a good deck and hope for the best.
*Hopefully, that will mean making history as the first two time champion :)
MintStar:
*Moving along from the topic of World Championship, it is evident that Reborn Tengu is dominating the TCG arena at the moment. Personally, what do you think of the card?
Galileo:
*I think it´s amazing. Whether it´s good for the game or not, that´s another topic. As for the card itself, it is really, really good. If you guys follow Yu-Gi-Oh on forums and online, you probably know I won my nationals with Tengu Plants before it really took off, and then topped CA Continentals with an updated version. Let me put it to you this way, if Tengu was legal, worlds would be so much different.
MintStar:
*Are you amongst the players who hope that the card will be hit by the upcoming September 2011 Forbidden and Restriction list?
Galileo:
*No, I don´t want it to get hit, and I have a feeling it won´t. Should it be? I can´t say for sure.
*Although it probably should!
MintStar:
*Another card which has received much online discussion is TG Hyper Librarian. What do you think of it?
Galileo:
*In the correct deck (Doppel!) it´s completely ridiculous. I´m fully expecting it to get hit.
*There have been turns where I draw a million cards, destroy a million more and end with a +9999. Get my drift?
*It´s crazy.
MintStar:
*I have to agree to that, it’s a powerful card.
*Last question on the restriction list, what changes do you hope to see in the list?
Galileo:
*We all hope for X card to be hit, just because it´s amazing. However, we don´t really contemplate all the variables involved. I think making the right list is a really hard job, and I´m glad it´s not mine, because I´m sure people would always still complain. Without thinking about it too much, just off the top of my head: Librarian, Gateway
*Nebula (I think this card is stupid)
*Trunade
*Those four I think I would like to see on the list.
MintStar:
*I see.
*With this I conclude the interview. Thank you for your time.
*Duelist Column would like to wish you all the best for the upcoming event in Amsterdam. Good luck! :D
Galileo:
*Thanks Jeremy :) I´ll do my best!

No comments:

Post a Comment